Sunday, October 25, 2009

Three Ohhhhhh!


So, in a day and a half I shall be turning thirty. Thirty. Thirty. i see it, but can't quite believe it. I recall the days where highschool seniors were old, college seniors.....I try to take comfort and tell myself things like "Jennifer Aniston is forty", and list the people I know who are thirty something or older...
Is it thirty or is it where I am in life that is bothering me? I suppose it's both. I should be , or so I unkindly tell myself , in a much different place. My own house, husband, you know the "All American go to church Sunday kind of girl". But woah is me,;), I am most certainly not. So what can I do? I can compare. I have perfected the art of comparing. I am darn good at it. So much infact that a wise man that mentors me spiritually declared "Stop it! Do you know what comparing is? It's wearing God's eyeglasses which you don't have". It was quite unfortunate to hear this, yet quite true. Who am I to say what's going on in someone's life? Who am I to declare "Well, God i do declare (I'm very Texan when I speak to God;) I deserve this and that and...." Who am I to look at another life and ask "but what about them..." Just as Peter did (Was it Peter) where Christ basically said it is none of your business (although a lot more gentle). So thirty. To an eighteen year old, I'm old. To a fifty year old I'm young. But it doesn't matter ultimately. Age. "Youth is wasted on the young" Would I go back? No. My twenties had some trials I would opt not to be apart of again. So I figure (yes, I'm rather logical;), I can embrace this or wear black all day and shed the tears of a widower. So I hope to embrace it. As a new chapter. As a clean slate. As a woman. And I hope what "they say" that thirties are a woman's best years, that "they" prove to be correct, for why not embrace our present? We have no other choice no matter how much Oil of Olay we use. I can pump my face full of Botox, but I think I will hopefully learn to love the lines that will one day form for all of us women - lines from laughter, tears, learning, aging, wisdom.
And so the dreaded Thirty - or not. It's my descision. So instead of shouting as Joey on a Friends episode where they all turn thirty "Why God, why are you doing this to us?!", perhaps I'll blow out my (many;) candles - shall probably take me three puffs;) and thank Him for where I am.
Now when I'm forty....well, we might then get out the black dress;)!

No comments: